Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Treadmill versus Elliptical


I'm confused about the elliptical machine and the treadmill at my gym. Which machine would give the best and fastest results for losing pounds and losing inches from my hips and thighs?

I sweat a lot more using the elliptical and burn more calories. But someone told me that using the treadmill will actually firm up the body more than the elliptical. On the elliptical, I set the resistance at number 7. On the treadmill, I run at 4.5-4.7 mph. I exercise about five times a week and want to be as productive as possible.

While treadmills and elliptical trainers are two of the most popular pieces of cardio equipment out there, each has its own perks and pitfalls. For an expert's point of view, we asked Faith Kromer, fitness director at Quest Fitness in Ellicott City, to weigh in on the subject.

Kromer says that while both pieces of equipment help increase bone density, burn calories and promote cardiovascular health, the elliptical machine is impact-free and often has an upper-body option (similar to the arm benefits of cross-country skiing).

Running on a treadmill can put more stress on your joints and lower back, but many athletes feel you get the best bang for your buck with a good treadmill run.

You may be getting a better workout on the elliptical trainer because your body can tolerate it more - you can push yourself harder without the impact. To burn more calories on the treadmill, consider increasing the machine's speed or incline. Kromer also recommends consulting a personal trainer.

Ultimately, she says, "pick the machine that you like the best and can tolerate for at least 30-40 minutes for a good cardiovascular and fat-burning workout."

1 comment:

  1. I was more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new information on your blog. https://www.ellipticalaudit.com/

    ReplyDelete