Sunday, May 6, 2012

Alison Finishes 4th at Flying Pig Marathon

Eighteen months ago, Allison Delgado suffered numerous broken bones and a brain injury when she was struck by a car while bicycling.After surgery on a brain aneurism and a seizure after returning home, doctors weren't sure how well she'd recover. But Sunday, Delgado had recovered enough to complete the Flying Pig Marathon, finishing fourth among all women runners.

"I'm happy that I'm healthy now and I'm able to run this race," said Delgado, the 2005 women's marathon winner. "I've been praying to God to help me run well this day to give people hope."

Delgado's husband, emergency helicopter physician Tim Delgado, was called to respond to his wife's October 2010 accident.

He realized who the patient was when he saw she was wearing his bicycle team's uniform.

Allison had broken her clavicle, her jaw and her sternum. She had several fractures in her vertebrae, bruised lungs, a bruised heart and a head injury that involved an aneurysm in her brain.

Two days after being sent home, Allison had a seizure.

Tim called 911 and, once again, while waiting for help, had to step in.

"He's amazing," Allison said after the race. "We had only been married for five months when my accident happened, and I always joked that I like to challenge the vows early."

Delgado thanked her family and friends for their prayers and support, and she thanked supporters who read about her in Runner's World and in newspaper accounts and sent her Facebook messages and emails.

"I would just say to anyone who's been through an accident or whatever it is they're going through to never give up, just look to God and never give up," Delgado said.

No comments:

Post a Comment