Friday, April 6, 2012

Stretching before Bed


I have a dear friend who also runs 30 miles per week. We swap stories about exercises, foods, and pets. Ninety-nine percent of the time we’re on the same page. So when we aren’t, I always pause to consider why.

The other day I mentioned that I stretch before going to bed . . . in the dark.

Her response?

“Sounds like biorhythm insanity.”

I didn’t really respond.



But I did think about it.

Stretching is a key to flexibility. Doing anything in the dark near bedtime sends the appropriate signals to your brain that it’s nearing the time to shut down for the day.

So what gives?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure.

Website after website and video after video seem to support the exercise as prudent.

I'll have to do some more investigation. Maybe it's something about doing it in the dark.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment