Monday, April 16, 2012

One-Upsmanship: Don't Worry about the Jones

I run 4.3 miles every day. Every day. If you do the math, that adds up to 30.1 miles per week, 120.4 miles per month, 1565.2 miles per year. I do this for 16 years, and I will have run around the equatorial circumference of the Earth one time. Not too shabby.

But you know what?

I've never run a so-called "ultra" distance (more than 26.2 miles) at one time.

Hell, I've never even run the length of a traditional marathon in one run.

I think the furthest I've run at one time is about 13 miles, give or take, and I've done that twice (not in a race).

This is a problem for some.

Why don't you run a marathon? I've been asked more than once.

Maybe I will.

Or, maybe I won't.

You talk to marathoners or read about them, and my 50 minute, 4.3 miles run constitutes one of their "easy" runs training for the marathon.

Damn.

All of a sudden, my run around the Earth doesn't sound too impressive.

And, to tell you the truth, sometimes I'm very happy when my 50-minute, 4.3 mile run is over. "Good run, but glad to be done." Sounds a little bit like Johnnie Cochrane, huh?

In any event, I'm not out to prove anything to myself, or to anybody else. It's OK if that's your motivation. Not everybody is the same. The important thing is we all love running, and that we stay healthy enough to keep running the rest of our lives.

No?

No comments:

Post a Comment