Saturday, August 25, 2012

Not All Addictions are Bad

One of the things I've been learning is that once you make exercise a habit, it's hard on you when you can't exercise for some reason. I think I've become a training addict!

In the beginning of creating any new habit, including the habit of training, it can be difficult. Once you commit to a new program, you have a certain amount of enthusiasm, but that only lasts so long. The hard part is to sustain your motivation beyond that initial period of enthusiasm.

But if you can do that, the training becomes a habit, and it becomes much easier. I'd estimate that the process of creating a habit takes about 30 days, although it's much safer to go for more than that if possible. After those 30 days, it's like you're a rocket that's broken through the atmosphere -- now that you're in orbit, it takes very little energy to sustain a habit.

The downside (it might be considered a positive side) is that if, for some reason, you can't exercise, it can make you itch. You will have anxiety that you can't burn off through exercise. I experienced this recently with an illness, plus the need to take care of a couple of sick babies. I knew that I couldn't exercise, but it was hard on me nonetheless.

Moral of the story? Not all addictions are bad -- this is one addiction I'm happy to live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment