Friday, August 31, 2012

Gotta Run



It seems Megan Andrews has hardly stopped to take a breath during her entire athletic life. Just hearing about her daily routine is exhausting. But that's why she's a perfect fitness role model.

Her love affair with sports started in childhood. Andrews grew up running track, doing gymnastics, cheerleading, and playing basketball and softball. In college, she played soccer and danced with the Dixie Darlings of University of Southern Mississippi. Even after she earned two degrees and had a full-time job as BREC's marketing manager and director of special events, she couldn't sit still.

"I realized that I LOVE to eat, and the only way I could continue to enjoy that … was to remain active," she said.

Fitness Activity - Running

After breaking her foot several times during middle school and high school, Andrews swore off running. Then, as an adult, she created an event that eventually became the Ironkids Triathlon. She also started working with Girls on the Run, a self-esteem program for girls age 8 to 13. Both experiences reignited her passion for running, and once she started, she couldn't stop.

Fitness Routine

"I average 3 to 5 days a week of crossfitting and I run from 15 to 30 miles per week. I work out, I swim and I'm the head running coach for Fleet Feet's training programs.

Why she does it

"It makes me feel more confident, less stressed, and happier with my life. Best of all, it allows me to eat more of our great Louisiana food without becoming overweight!"

Her diet

"I try to always pack my lunch. I use portion control and I eat lots of veggies. I stay away from coffee and carbonated drinks. I do love peanut butter, ice cream and frozen yogurt, but I indulge only if I use moderation and if I exercise to make up for it."

Her advice for others

"The only way you can stick with a fitness program is if you're having fun. So try different things: biking, inline skating, swimming, crossfitting or even dancing in your bedroom with your iPod. Hey, I do it all the time!"

Other tips

• When you first start a fitness plan, grab a tape measure. Measure yourself (arm, thigh, hip and waist) once a week, every week.

• Don't skip out on meals. You're more likely to overeat later.

• Find healthy alternatives to foods you already love. This will keep you from feeling restricted.

• Hire a personal trainer or join a fitness group. Working in a group holds you accountable, keeps you on a routine, and offers a social outlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment